Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Ich habe fünf Berlineren. Ich bin nicht ein Berliner.

This past weekend (the first in March), I made a solitary excursion to the Deutchlander capital of Berlin. This was my first time travelling alone so I was glad that I was doing it to a country I was already relatively familiar with. I got up bright and early to catch the flight, ran into Ryan at the Bahnhof so I had some company on the ride there. Got to Berlin in time for breakfast which I got when the bus dropped me off at the Brandenburg Gate. I killed a couple of hours eating, drinking coffee and taking pictures and then met up with a very informative free walking tour.

The tour took me through the Brandenburg Gate, to the Holocaust memorial, Hitler's bunker, the Luftwaffe HQ, Checkpoint Charlie, the Berlin Wall, Museum Island and probably several other places I've since forgotten. After the tour, I sought and checked into my hostel where I was greeted by the drunk receptionist and his drunk very tall kenyan friend who offered me warm rum and coke from a dirty looking pitcher (I declined...). After dropping off my stuff I went and explored Alexanderplatz where Berlin's famous TV tower is located. Grabbed some currywurst and a bag of 5 Berliner Donuts which I gorged on for the remainder of the weekend. That night I went for dinner to a highly recommended thai resturaunt called Monsieur Vuong's. It was a really cool place and had really cool food. Went to bed early because the hostel was empty and I didn't meet anyone :(

Next day I got up and decided to go to some museums. Went to the wall information center, the Holocaust museum (which I sincerely regret going to alone..) and the East Side Gallery. The line was too long to get into the Reichstag and I got to the Deutches History Museum 2 hours too late... Had some spätzli for lunch and for dinner I got flammkuchen in a weird bar that served weissbier and called it dark beer... Another early night.

Next day got up early to grab a bus to the airport. Flew back to Zurich where I promptly boarded a 3 hour train to Geneva to check out the car show. Not much to write home about. Much like the Frankfurt auto show except slightly smaller, less grandeur and only a few more cars than I had already seen in Frankfurt. I did however come across one little bit of inspiration for my future in a company that modifies cars so that they can be driven by the disabled. I shall have to look further into it.

All in all a good weekend but I've decided I'm not the solitary type when it comes to travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment